Friday, September 5, 2008

"Sharks are at your feet"

My girlfriends and I have started water aerobics. (insert picture HERE of us in swimsuits looking mighty fine)
It's actually a pretty good workout, there are days when we are grateful we are in the water so no one can see us sweat.
Then there are days when we can't get over the absolutely DUMB names they come up with for moves in the water. For example...imagine yourself in the deep end, you "hop" from leg to leg then pause every other leg for a brief second. Our teacher demonstrates while chanting "sharks are at your feet" (pause) "sharks are at your feet" (pause) I swear I chant it in my sleep. I won't even get into the whole "flutter kick" thing. The poor men in our class. Their man card is stripped from them when they get into the pool. I can just imagine them going home..."hi honey, how was your workout?"
"Oh, I did some pretty manly flutter kicks, then some sharks were at my feet...I did end in a good superman pose though.."

I figure that there is nothing like a good Superman pose to start the day off right

P.S. there will NEVER be pictures from, about or regarding this particular aspect of my day, so don't even ask. Although, there are some pretty picture worthy moments, especially when we lose all balance with weights and flop around like porpoises. Just leave it up to your imaginations!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! You are a girl after my own Heart!! I was once a water aerobic junkie myself!! Your description of the guys "losing" a piece of their manhood is totally true!! What man in their right mind would go and do this with their wife? Not mine!! And of course all the splashing and thrashing you do as you try to look graceful doing your water aerobics. What Memories!! Water Aerobics Rock!!

kristin said...

Kim, you never cease to amaze me!! I was laughing so hard as I read this!! I think it's wildly amusing that there's such a thing as "flutter kicks," and the whole "check your manly card at the door" is hilarious!! What is it with men and the gym these days? Doug was taking a spinning class that I typically would have thought only women take, cause it just seems like a girl thing. So apparently water aerobics is becoming more mainstream as well. What is the world coming too?
(Still laughing!)

dlkenney said...

I love water aerobics. My cousin who is a guy use to attend them with me. He really enjoyed it also. I do agree, some of the moves are quite rediculous.

Sarah said...

HaHa, that's so funny...I told Chris whenever we were doing something that involved swimsuits that there was no point taking my pictures because it would never surface and would get deleted pronto!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you my daughter!! I took a water aerobics class with your sister, Kristy. I think I went twice and after getting over the horror of showing up IN my suit in front of a huge class of people with a track team next to us....yeah....I don't need to do that ever again! I started hyperventilating when we went to the middle of the pool and "were stationary"...if I can't touch...I'm not stationary! That's why I can never be thrown off a boat...I can't tread water! Go for it!!!! I know it's good for you...just not for me! Love, Mom

Amanda said...

I am so glad we started going! Not only do we get a good workout, it gives us something to laugh about later. I, too, have nightmares about sharks at my feet, although we could probably come up with some pretty good chants about some of the others. Just don't stay jealous of my tuck-and-swing, yours will improve with time! And we will always have the mental pictures, there is absolutely NO need for a camera.

Rebecca said...

I'm sure I will be having nightmares of this move tonight--absolutely accompanied by the annoying chant! I must confess--I love going, though I am still working through my tuck and swing jealousy of Amanda. What moves do we own? Let's claim some for ourselves! She can't be the only cool one there!

Cardalls said...

This is hilarious! YOu said no photos, I'd settle for a good video! You crack me up---always have.

Foster Family said...

Kim - I took an aerobics class with my friend in college, but it was on dry land and it wasn't pretty. I do think, however, that we got the best cardio workout of everyone in the class -- we laughed so hard from start to finish. Have fun! Miss you guys!