Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Swine Flu I hate you

NOT that we have it...and how do I know we don't? Oh, because I just wasted a copay on a child with a SIMPLE COLD. That's right, a simple cold. She slept a lot, complained that her tummy and head hurt and ached ALL over and felt feverish. All night and morning. Throw in a few other minor symptoms for good measure and I was running to the dr like a first time mom to make sure we didn't have to be quarentined. (which we don't) ( unless I want to be a good mom and let my child actually enjoy her cold and recover in bed...which we don't have time for...sorry.) All of the hype has me doubting my ability to get my children through an illness without ICU care in the near future if they get it. Stinkin media hype. Don't judge me...yes, I would take her to the dr all over again if needed, but I would have probably given it a few more hours to see if it developed into something bigger, or if it was truly just a cold. I feel like we are on alert 24/7 for renegade germs, and I have gone through more Lysol so far this year than our entire 16 years of marriage combined. Is Flu season over yet?

10 comments:

Dogmom Diva said...

Kim,gonna be a loong winter I am afraid...too much media hype has everyone double guessing themselves..just use your good judgement, if one of the girls is sick, keep them home and monitor..thats all you can do..ignore the hype..love u

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

There has been major media hype, but I think it's smart to keep a close eye on it! My doctor is pretty sure I had it last week, and most of my symptoms were cold symptoms! Sorry, the sickies are no fun.

dlkenney said...

It has been scary. My little brother had it a few weeks ago and his dr told him to treat it like a cold unless your breathing becomes difficult and you can feel it in your chest. Good Luck, we have been very cautious here also.

Wendi said...

I've been worried, too, as I've heard about so many falling ill. I, too, believe in Lysol use. My Grandma would be proud of us both. She would always spray down hotel rooms when she went places. :) I'm also a big believer in hand washing. Hope we all survive this winter--and the hype.

erin said...

AMEN!!!! I laughing right now because this is SO TRUE!

Cardalls said...

I too ran to the doctor last week due to H1N1 scare...You're Not Along...even if you're feeling on your own...you are loved in ways that can't be shown. hehe. Lysol and clorox wipes are our friends here too.

erin said...

Oh, BTW, our dr. is our good friend and neighbor. He said you have 48 hours from the beginning of symptoms to prescribe Tamiflu and have it be effective. That saved me a trip to his office last week when Sam woke up w/ a high fever, sore throat and body aches. I waited 24 hours and then he was better. (But I won't be surprised to see our dr. trade in his Lexus this year for, oh let's see, maybe a Porsche- or two.)

Foster Family said...

I'm feeling a pretty good loathing for the flu, also. Tons of people around us are sick with it and it does tend to make me feel a little paranoid. We've got some immune-compromised folks in our home. I'm trying not to over-react, but I'd really like to skip it all together. Good luck to both of us, huh? Hang in there!

Glenna & Kevin said...

Be glad!!! Keevin technically doesn't have it, just the symptoms...I was told to keep him home from school all week, which is what I have done. Fever that is down one minute, up the next, runny nose, nausea, tiredness, etc. Not quarantined, but just making sure that he does not spread it all over school. Like you, I am that ever dilligent mom who makes sure that her baby isn't getting something that the media seems so hyped up about. After almost 17 years of marriage, I am still the doting mom...

DebLawson said...

Ok, here were our Haley's symptoms:
Thur.: Complained of sore neck and back. slight sore throat, slight aches and pains. (She had hiked the Y that day and I thought she was just sore from that.)

Fri: Sore throat, still achy neck and back. Still no fever, no cough. Went to school. Came to me around 1 pm looking pale and had a pretty good cough going. Slight fever at this point. Went to bed that night feeling alright due to the Motrin I had given her.

Sat. Morn.: Came to me around 9 am very sick, took temp, it was 102.2. I knew right then and there to call the Dr. She was seen an hour later. They did the "Influenza Test" on her, it came back positive. Since the seasonal flu is NOT going around at this time, they assume H1N1. Did NOT prescribe Tamiflu for her even though they diagnosed her within 24-48 hours, BUT they did tell me to call MY Dr to get on Tamiflu. I was on it by 6pm that evening. Tamiflu is ONLY good for the first 24-48 hours and will only be given to people who are high risk. I am prego living with a Swiney kid, I was high risk, Haley was not. I wanted Haley to get it, but Dr. told me NO. He said according to the CVC guidelines, only those high risk get it, they don't want to over prescribe it. Your kids with compromised immune systems would probably be high risk and would indeed get the Tamiflu.

SO: My advice to you is to watch your girls very, very closely.(like you're already doing!) H1N1 is a FLU, so body aches, deep, tight cough, FEVER. Oh, another thing, if any of you get it, you will want to buy Mucinex and keep them on it the whole time. It helps keep their chest clear of the gunk.. the gunk that causes pneumonia and trips to the hospital and such. All week long I had Haley on Motrin and Mucinex around the clock. She is currently on day 2 of NO fever! yay. I'll have her head back to school Monday.

Good luck, Kim! Call me if you have any questions.