Saturday, October 10, 2009

Maturation night

So Dan and I had a deal long before we had kids. I would potty train and have THE talk with the girls, and he would do the same for the boys. That deal didn't pan out so well for me. Thursday night I got to attend the third out of four 5th grade maturation nights at the school. Crazygirl was trying to sell the idea to Dramaqueen by telling her she would get meat and cake there. (they served dinner beforehand) obviously that was a highlight for Crazygirl. I think I almost have the presentation and jokes memorized, because it has been the same district nurse for the last 30 years. Can you imagine making a living showing people how to unwrap sanitary products?
It was a typical night, filled with giggling girls who turned bright red when they showed the side view drawing of a boys anatomy (except the one girl who burst out with the loudest emabarrased laugh EVER) and looks of complete blankness on their faces as they talked about periods.
After, as we were walking out, Dramaqueen turned to me and said "mom, you know that whole tampon thing? Don't even waste your money...I am not EVEN going there" Her friend turned to her mom and said, "I'm with her". Funny stuff.
Only one more to go...

12 comments:

Glenna & Kevin said...

Do they give you information on how to talk to girls...My ddaughter is so embarrassed about talking about that stuff, I don't know what to do!!! Help!!! If you have any good ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Sarah said...

HaHaHaHa yeah that deal really did not work out in your favor! That happened to my mom too since we have 5 girls in my family! Looks like your a pro though....maybe I should just send Emerson with you when it's time! JK. PS Laughed so hard at what Drama queen said about the tampons!

eran said...

What the hell is 5th grade maturation nights? I don't remember this at Penryn Elementary.

Wendi said...

Gotta love that. I just realized my son will go through that this year. I bet I'm going to be the one who has to go to that maturation assembly as well... Sheesh! :S

Cardalls said...

sooo funny! my kids reaction to "the talk" is....ewwww that is gross!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Well at least they have these nights with Mom to talk about these things. We had no such thing when I grew up. I say tell it like it is.I had four boys before I had a girl so I only went one time I think I may have learned a few things.

kristin said...

Brittnee has that scheduled this year. I have to say that I'm partly glad someone has to do it. Don't get me wrong, my girls know all about tampons, but as far as "the talk" goes, let's just say Teaghan was up till midnight the night we "talked." She was that weirded out. Practically in tears the child was. And I was totally clinical about it!!! Can't wait to do the same with Britt. (note the sarcasm) We waited to have "the talk" with Britt when she was younger because it would have spread around the entire school within a matter of a week, and who knows what rumors would be flying around by that time. AHHHHH! Why can't there be nannies for this kind of thing? We could call her, "The Facts of Life Nanny." That way my daughter could be weirded out by someone other than her mother.

Anonymous said...

Jared and I had the same deal!! Do you know how happy I am that I am done with my end of the bargain!!! Two more years and he gets to take D.....I hope he's ready?!?!? LOL o well!!

erin said...

So funny Kim. You're almost done! Jack's school previewed the film they showed the the boys (they split them in 5th grade), but I was unable to go, so I asked his teacher if I could just come and watch it. I went to her room while she ate lunch. Good thing I was by myself, cuz the film was so cheesy "after-school" special, that I was the one laughing inappropriately (Ok, then his teacher started laughing w/ me too). Needless to say, when I asked Jack about it after school his response was, "That was so wrong". He was referring to the cartoon animation of the "boy's anatomy" in action. Pretty funny. Grant was out-of-town, of course, so I'm happy our school shows it to the parents first then the kids alone. I'm sure Jack and the other boys would have died of mortification having me in there (especially since I would have been laughing). :) Seems I still need to do some "maturation".

Dogmom Diva said...

Oh the joy of raising sons lol..I remember my mom handing me a pamphlet...that was it and i think we might have chatted, I can't really remember..we sure didn't have a program at school..so in that way you are lucky...Love Crazygirls comment, lol!

Kellie said...

That is so funny. That takes me back to 5th grade and my class that I went to. I remember the shock and denial I had after it. Ha ha.

Mostly Jessica said...

Oh this post killed me! So funny. It makes me really glad to have a boy first. Perhaps I should speak to Ron about such a deal....