Sunday, November 23, 2008

No Twilight for me

It finally came...the weekend we have all been counting down to, the premier of Twilight! We had a group of 25 together, and had great plans! We hit Red Robin for dinner and then had tickets for the 7:15 show. Just before we were done eating I felt my throat go numb on the inside and start to swell. I grabbed Dan and we ran across the parking lot to Target. The pharmicist left the people she was helping at the counter and ran over to us (I must have looked panicky by that point) She helped me OD on Benydryl to stop the swelling, because I was getting to a point where I couldn't breathe very well. Dan rushed me to the ER and by that point I felt like I was going to pass out. They didn't even make me do triage, they got me into a wheelchair and right back into a room and hooked up to machines. My pulse and blood pressure were out of control, and weren't going down. Apparently I also am one of the (un)lucky few that have adverse reactions to large amounts of Benadryl. I was also going into anaphalactyc(?) shock. Good times! They gave me some steroids and after a few hours got me stable enough to go home. The next day I was really tired , but thought I was doing better. I walked downstairs and almost passed out. Everything started to go back up again. Our neighbor is a life flight nurse and he came over and gave us some great advice on what to do to counteract what was happening. Our stake President (who was there the night before when it all happened) came over and helped Dan give me a Priesthood blessing. What an incredible calming experience that was! My heart rate was pretty erratic for the rest of the day and night, but this morning everything was dropping down to normal and my heart was beating strong and regular again. What a horrid experience! I am so lucky to have a husband with some emergency medical training, who was able to keep tabs on me and know exactly what my stats were every so often.
SO, I have a couple of Twilight tickets...they are a few days old and not worth much anymore. Luckily, Dancingqueen got to stay and see the movie with my sister and our friends. I found out that I am DEATHLY allergic to melons and not so good with large doses of Benadryl either! Good to know!

14 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow! What a story! Sorry you didn't get to see and I hope you can soon, I am sure some great people wouldn't mind going again!

My dad is also allergic to melons, wasn't as a kid though, he misses watermelon. Sad part is he can't even have a fruit salad if the other fruit has touched melon he will have a reaction!

Glad you are felling better!

erin said...

WOW! I'm so glad you are OK! What a scary thing. So do you have an epi pen now (sp?)? I've never heard of a melon allergy. Thank goodness it wasn't an allergy to chocolate. Melons are very easy for me to avoid. Be careful.

Kimmy said...

I get my eppi pen today when I go to the dr. Luckily I don't like melons at all. It was actually from eating a french fry that had been sitting on top of a melon and had soaked up some of it's juice. Crazy eh?

dlkenney said...

wow I am glad to hear there were enough people around that acted fast. Did you know you were allergic to melon before or is this a new thing? Good Luck

Wendi said...

Well, that was QUITE the ordeal. Sorry you had to go through all that. Hope you get to see the movie soon. I think my sister and I are going to see a matinee of it tomorrow while the kiddos are in school. :)

kristin said...

Holy crud Kim!! I'm so glad you're okay! My dad has just minutes to live if he eats a banana. It's so crazy the things that can seriously hurt us! That's such a bummer cause melons are sooo good! Sorry to hear about Twilight too. Just make sure you go the minute you feel better. It was good!
I'll tell Sheila to post more, but it's not very effective (smile) And if you guys are out in the spring, I would love to take your pictures!

Sarah said...

I am so sorry Kim! Sheri told me what happened and I felt so bad for you! Of all nights huh? I hope you feel better and get to go see Twilight soon!

Anonymous said...

I was so sad you had to leave! We were all very worried about you and hoped you'd make it back to the movie. Mostly, though, we are all very relieved that you are ok - that's the most important thing. I have some time off....I'll be glad to go again!!! Call me!

the nayz said...

How scary for you. I am glad that you are doing better and they found out what caused it. You will just have to go out and see the movie another time. And if you need someone to go with, I would love to see it again!

Jason said...

I'm am so sorry that happened to you. I also have a strange allergy, to kiwi's when I had my reaction, he said I would be allergic to mellons as well, same family. I am so happy you are alive, you are the queen of near death experiences you should write a book!

erin said...

Just as I suspected....melons ARE evil! Avoid at all cost and just stick with the "non-contaminated fries". This is Sam's policy. He won't eat anything that comes on a plate w/ fruit or veggies. Our server on the cruise learned to keep the garnish off of everything for him. Just eat extra chocolate for you sweet! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! How scary!! I am so glad that you came out of it okay! K no melon for you!! Melon bad, chocolate good! Comprende??

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Kim the next time we eat out we need to make sure they put no melons on your plate. We felt so bad for you and we missed you at the movie.I am just so glad you are doing better.

Unknown said...

KIM! That is SO so so so scary! I am SUPER thankful you are okay! I can't believe this happened to you. Even worse you missed Twilight! Ug...hope you are on the mend! Hugs.