Thursday, December 11, 2008

is it just me or is it getting itchy in here?

Since my little episode with the cantalope and missing Twilight (which I FINALLY saw by the way...thanks Amanda!) I had to go see an allergist today. He had to do that scratch test to test for any other allergies. We got there and it was (no joke) 53 degrees in their office. The heater had broken and it had just been blowing out ice cold air. Can you say COLD? After the initial exam etc. the nurse had me remove everything from the waist up and put on one of those little paper gowns. I was really nervous about the upcoming test, and how I was going to react to it, so I wasn't thinking about the fact that my exam room was corner room with 3 LARGE windows, and the blinds were all open...facing a day care. Luckily Dan did, and jumped up to stop me from sending dozens of children to years of electroshock therapy. Once the blinds were properly shut, we prceeded with changing and the test. They brought in a little space heater for me...but as I type this 2 hours later I am still shivering. The test wasn't bad except for the BURNING on parts of my back from it itching so bad. The doctor was impressed with how many things I am actually allergic to. Who knew? No more lawn mowing for me!!! I get to go in 1 or 2 times a week for allergen immunotherapy shots. oh yippee. good news, though. I found that I am officially not allergic to chocolate (yea!) and even better, am REALLY allergic to cats. For years I have been telling the girls that I am allergic to owning a cat, but now it's official!

9 comments:

erin said...

Hilarious! Last time I went for my exam, I noticed a huge gaping gap in the mini blinds that looked out onto the sidewalk. Sadly, I don't think I noticed until my feet were in the stirrups! I figures anyone that wanted to look, deserved what they saw!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sound fun! Although it probably is a very wise idea to know AHEAD OF TIME what you're allergic to! No more missing milestone moments by being in the E.R., ok? Hope things are getting better!

kristin said...

Oh my gosh! That's seriously cold! I know everyone from Utah is thinking that that's really not ALL that cold, but when you've lived in Cali for 10 years, anything below 60 is frigid. And I grew up in Utah!
Glad you've figured out what you're allergic to- no more scary trips to the hospital! (shiver)

Wendi said...

Everyone should have to go through something along those lines at least once in their life so we all appreciate how blessed we are to live in comfortable, heated homes that we're NOT allergic to. :)

Cardalls said...

You crack me up....electroshock therapy! LOL! Glad it all went well and that you are REALLY allergic to cats...maybe I should get tested!

Anonymous said...

I have taken two of my kids to do that allergy testing thing and it looks miserable!! So I feel for ya babe!! But add in a cold room, man that is torture!! Glad you survived!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we go through something bad as a catalist to finding out what is really going on with our bodies! Sorry about the itching...I hate itching...I REALLY hate itching. I'm with you and the blinds (reminds me of delivering your little brother while EVERYONE walked back and forth through the room during the delivery)...so much for picking a day when the stork was in overdrive! At least you know now what your body is trying to tell you. I knew about the grass (sneezing everytime grass was mowed)but a cat...really? You and your dad. Love you!!

Bethany said...

Blind near a day care, who tought up that building design? I haven't ever tried an allergist but probably should with all my new evolving alleries. I am just not sure I want to know everything I really should be avoiding! For my Dad it was Chocolate!!! Yikes! What are the shots supposed to do?

Unknown said...

So crazy you didn't know after so many years. Hope you are feeling better SOON!